Reducing Health Disparities Through Person-Centered SLP Services
Presented by: Valeria Gary, M.A., CCC-SLP
January 26th, 2022
8:30 PM EST / 7:30 PM CST / 6:30 PM MST / 5:30 PM PST
After this webinar, you will be able to…
- Learners will describe the difference between healthcare and health disparities.
- Participants will identify areas within the speech-language pathologist’s (SLP) scope of practice that addresses health literacy.
- Learners will list ways to find reputable healthcare information and ways to incorporate physician notes and after-visit summaries into language and cognitive-communication treatment.
- 8:30 -8:35 PM – Introduction
- 8:35- 8:40 PM – What are health and healthcare disparities? Who do they affect? Why is this topic important?
- 8:40 – 8:45 PM – How does addressing disparities fit within the SLP scope of practice?
- 8:45-9:00 PM – Identifying appropriate patients and involving care partners
- 9:00-9:15 PM – Improving health literacy through reputable sources
- 9:15-10:15 PM – Finding and creating person-centered resources that promote health literacy.
- 10:15-10:30 PM – Summary and Q&A
Valeria Gary, M.A., CCC-SLP owns Southeast Parkinson’s Speech Services LLC, where she provides maintenance speech therapy services. She also owns Total Body Cognition LLC, empowering those living with chronic conditions to minimize symptoms and thrive through nutrition, physical activity, and education. Valeria holds certifications in Speech-Language Pathology, Personal Training, Brain Health Training, Behavior Change, Nutrition Coaching, and Health Coaching. A member of Allied Team Training for Parkinson’s and an advisory board member for Parkinson’s Foundation Georgia, Valeria has a particular interest in wellness for people living with Parkinson’s Disease.
At Wellstar Kennestone Outpatient Neurorehabilitation Clinic, Valeria provides clinical services, supervises graduate students, and co-hosts a monthly Parkinson’s support group. Her specialty certifications include LSVT-LOUD, LSVT LOUD for Life, Speak OUT!, McNeill Dysphagia Therapy Program, and MBSImP (Modified Barium Swallow Impairment Profile).
As a mentor for the Medical SLP Collective, Valeria assists Speech-Language Pathologists in providing evidence-based care in the areas of Parkinson’s Disease, motor speech disorders, and cognition. Valeria also serves as a co-chair of the Diversity Collaboration Committee, where serves as an advisor on increasing cultural responsiveness within the organization.
Additional Info and FAQ:
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be emailed to you. Once completed, we will email you a certificate of completion within 48 hours. You have 14 days to complete the test.
If you'd like to earn ASHA CEUs for the presentation, we can report your completion to ASHA. ASHA CEUs are awarded to those that meet eligibility criteria by the ASHA CE Registry upon receipt of the ASHA CEU Participant Form from the ASHA Approved CE Provider.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://medslpcollective.com/cancellation-of-courses-and-events/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at email@example.com
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reducing Health Disparities Through Person-Centered SLP Services – Live Webinar Registration: