Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and SLPs:
The Heart of the Matter
Presented by: Alexis Myres M.S., CCC-SLP
March 23rd, 2022
8:30 PM EST / 7:30 PM CST / 6:30 PM MST / 5:30 PM PST
After this webinar, you will be able to…
- Learners will describe basic heart anatomy and physiology.
- Attendees will identify risk factors for dysphagia in the cardiac post-surgical population.
- Learners will identify best practices for the speech-language pathologist for dysphagia evaluation, including need for instrumental assessments of swallowing.
- Learners will list early post-operative assessment and intervention strategies for dysphagia.
- 8:30 PM -8:40 PM: Introduction
- 8:40 PM- 08:55 PM: Heart anatomy and physiology
- 8:55 PM – 9:15 PM: Basics of a Cardiac ICU
- 9:15 PM – 9:45 PM: Dysphagia Risk Factors in Cardiac Post-Surgical Patients
- 9:45 PM – 09:55 PM: Examining New Research on Prevalence of Post-OP Dysphagia
- 09:55 PM – 10:10 PM: Early Assessment/Intervention Strategies in the Cardiac ICU
- 10:10 PM — 10:15 PM: Importance of an Interdisciplinary Approach
- 10:15 PM – 10:30 PM: Q&A
Alexis Myres is an acute care SLP in Central Valley, California. She graduated from the University of Washington's Medical Speech-Language Pathology program and completed her clinical fellowship at the Long Beach VA Healthcare System. Her current full-time job is split between a large level 1 trauma center and an associated cardiac surgical hospital. She is the dedicated cardiac SLP in my hospital system, specializing in post-surgical cardiothoracic patients and an additional PRN at a small rural hospital, and another trauma center in downtown Los Angeles.
Her professional goals include advancing the awareness of the role SLPs play in cardiothoracic rehabilitative care. To that end, she has participated in a guest episode of Swallow Your Pride, co-created educational materials for the Med SLP Collective, provided physician continuing medical education lecture series, created an instagram platform @lexyslp dedicated to MedSLP life with an emphasis on cardiac care, and been a guest speaker for state SLP associations.
Additional Info and FAQ:
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be emailed to you. Once completed, we will email you a certificate of completion within 48 hours. You have 14 days to complete the test.
If you'd like to earn ASHA CEUs for the presentation, we can report your completion to ASHA. ASHA CEUs are awarded to those that meet eligibility criteria by the ASHA CE Registry upon receipt of the ASHA CEU Participant Form from the ASHA Approved CE Provider.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://medslpcollective.com/cancellation-of-courses-and-events/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at email@example.com
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and SLPs:The Heart of the Matter – Live Webinar Registration: