Application of Exercise Science in Swallowing Rehabilitation
Presented by: Lori Burkhead Morgan, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
June 22nd, 2022
8:30 PM EST / 7:30 PM CST / 6:30 PM MST / 5:30 PM PST
After this webinar, you will be able to…
- Identify basic principles of exercise physiology (strength and skill training) as they pertain to dysphagia rehabilitation
- Describe the physiologic process of conditioning and deconditioning of swallowing function given injury, illness, age, or chronic conditions.
- Identify exercises and exercise equipment that may be used to aid in treatment.
- 8:30 AM – 8:35 PM: Introduction
- 8:35 PM- 8:55 PM: Overview of the organization, structure & function of the neuromuscular system
- 8:55 PM – 9:05 PM: Conditioning, deconditioning, & functional decompensation
- 9:05 PM – 9:25 PM: Exercise training: frequency, duration, intensity & specificity
- 9:25 PM – 9:35 PM: Modifications in exercise for special conditions
- 9:45 PM – 10:00 PM: Tools of exercise training
- 10:00 PM – 10:20 PM: Documentation and goal-writing
- 10:20 PM – 10:30 PM: Q&A
Dr. Burkhead Morgan has been a practicing speech-language pathologist since 1994 in a variety of healthcare settings, including a Level-1 trauma center, inpatient rehabilitation, and outpatient otolaryngology practice, and as medical school faculty conducting research, teaching, and maintaining a clinical practice. She earned a Ph.D. in Rehabilitation Sciences from the University of Florida in 2005, focusing on applying exercise science principles to communication and swallowing rehabilitation. During nearly 30 years of clinical and academic endeavors, she has developed an expertise in the evaluation & treatment of medically complex patients. Dr. Burkhead Morgan is a sought-after speaker, presenting both domestically and internationally. She is a published author on the topic of dysphagia, and exercise science as it relates to dysphagia. She is best known for teaching clinicians how to bridge the gap between research and clinical application.
Lori receives a salary from Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University and also at the University of Georgia. She will receive a speaking fee from the Medical SLP Collective for this presentation.
Listed as an Educational Consultant for Passy-Muir, Inc. (not currently active)
Additional Info and FAQ:
Can I get continuing education for this webinar?
After watching the webinar, you will need to pass a short quiz with at least 80% accuracy to obtain credit for your participation. The link to the quiz will be emailed to you. Once completed, we will email you a certificate of completion within 48 hours. You have 14 days to complete the test.
If you'd like to earn ASHA CEUs for the presentation, we can report your completion to ASHA. ASHA CEUs are awarded to those that meet eligibility criteria by the ASHA CE Registry upon receipt of the ASHA CEU Participant Form from the ASHA Approved CE Provider.
What is the Refund/Cancellation Policy?
Click here to view our policy: https://medslpcollective.com/cancellation-of-courses-and-events/
What can I do if I have a complaint?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who is this webinar appropriate for?
The target audience for this webinar is licensed speech-language pathologists. There are no prerequisite skills or knowledge needed beyond the basic speech-language pathology training and licensing.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you require accommodations to access these materials due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com
Application of Exercise Science in Swallowing Rehabilitation – Live Webinar